My name is Kristen, and I’m the face behind Chalk & Apples.
I’m so glad you’ve stopped by my site! Since you’re here, I can already tell you’re an amazing teacher, and that you’re committed to learning and growing so that your classroom is the best it can be. If you’re an elementary teacher and you’re looking for teaching inspiration, tools, and resources to succeed in the classroom, you’re in the right place!
Maybe you’re looking for…
- Tech tips and ideas to empower your 21st century learners.
- Math games and resources to meet rigorous standards by making learning concrete, hands-on, and engaging.
- Literacy resources to help you implement guided reading, small groups, and stations.
- Organizational tips to keep your classroom running smoothly.
- Classroom resources that allow you to create fun, engaging learning experiences without spending all weekend planning & prepping!
Let me tell you a little about myself…
I’m Kristen, and I’m passionate about teaching upper elementary students and helping their teachers be the best you can be. I have ten years of teaching experience, almost exclusively in fourth and fifth grades. I absolutely love teaching “big kids,” and I feel so blessed to have spent most of my teaching career with my favorite people.
I know what it’s like to want to create engaging curriculum, but not have enough time in your day. I truly believe it’s possible to engage students with innovative and rigorous learning experiences without sacrificing your personal & family time. This is why I create ready to go lessons and activities rooted in best practices plus organizational tools to help you keep it all together.
In 2012, I was in a new city, out on maternity leave, and I wanted a creative outlet and a place to share my teaching ideas, tips, and activities with other teachers like me. Teachers who wanted to collaborate and grow as educators. I started blogging and sharing teaching resources in my curriculum shop on TeachersPayTeachers that summer, and it has been a growing passion of mine ever since.
I’m originally from South Carolina, but the Army moved my husband and I to Tennessee in 2011. Since then, we’ve welcomed two sweet boys, Jacob and Joshua, to our family and my husband has retired from active duty. We’ve found a home here in Tennessee, though, so we’ve decided to stay here for the long haul.
Being in an Army town, and teaching on the installation for many years, every single one of my students was an Army kid. I am amazed on a daily basis at how strong and resilient they are through all of the trials of Army family life. It is such a blessing to work with these amazing families!
Like you, I have a few core teaching beliefs that drive everything I do professionally…
- I believe students learn best when they feel safe and loved in their classrooms.
- I believe when our teaching is differentiated and flexible, we can reach every student.
- I believe learning should be as fun as it is rigorous, and that it can do both at the same time.
- I believe education is constantly evolving, and that we, as educators, must continue learning and changing in order to give our students the education they deserve.
- I believe you can be an amazing teacher without sacrificing your personal or family life.
I hope you’ll settle in with a cup of coffee or a soda and click around my little corner of the web. I’m sure you’ll find something here to inspire you!
On my blog, you’ll find articles filled with teaching ideas, tips for integrating technology, organizational ideas, and more, to help improve your teaching.
In my teaching resources shop, you’ll find tons of ready-to-use resources for literacy centers, math activities and games, and classroom organizational tools to help you teach effectively and save time!
Connect with me…
I love getting to know teachers all over the world, and learning how I can help you! I’d love to connect with you on social media, here on my blog, or by email.
Or if you’d rather, feel free to use the contact form below to reach out to me personally. I love hearing from other teachers!